Thursday, September 15, 2011

Room Tour 2.0

Ok, you guys. When I first showed you our shoebox, I think I made it pretty clear that this was one real student pad. Well, we’re moving on up!


No, we’re not moving out. We’re just improving.


Observe:


The bed and headboard - before: (note the uninspiring stack of books and miscellany)



And after!! One of my main motivations to reworking our room was that I really missed having an altar, a dedicated spot where I could focus on praying, reading, and writing in my journal. Note the fabulous orchid! I won this gorgeous plant during an impromptu singing competition in Zurich (more on that later.)

Next up, the closet - before:


And after! No huge changes, just my corkboards for jewelry and important papers (yes, a 20% coupon for FNAC is a big deal. For those who were wondering, FNAC is our Best Buy.)


Next up, the table, otherwise known as the big catch-all. Before:


And after. Doesn't look a whole lot better. In fact, in some respects it's worse. But in our defense, Dominique's back in school now. At least we don't have this sad little pretend altar in the middle of our random crap.


And, le piece de resistance: the kitchen area! First the before:



And now, featuring cabinetry and countertops!!


Well, not really. But for me, it’s as if I did a real reno!


This little kitchen area had no proper area to dry dishes. In exploring my local options online, I took notice of a three-level vertical dish dryer from Ikea. When my dear MIL offered this little metal cart to me, I immediately saw its purpose. And whodathunk, it fits perfectly! It’s become a nice little hub for drying as well as storing our dishes, and I’m so proud.

Likewise, when I saw this dumb little particleboard shelf in the garage of the in-laws, I knew it was meant to be mine. And of course, in true destiny fashion, it fit perfectly too, and has been of immense help lately come dinner time!


So yes. Laugh if you want. Roll your eyes at the waste of time reading this entry may have been for you. But these little things, in such a little space, pack a BIG punch. They've made my day to day life easier, and therefore have earned their place in my heart.


Ok, back to your nice big homes. I'll be here, enjoying my shoebox :)


1 comment:

Andria said...

little improvements can make a big difference! looks great hope you are both enjoying it :)